CLINTON, IA—Two Franciscan Sisters who served in the Diocese of San Bernardino are celebrating their jubilee, the anniversary of entrance into religious life, this fall. Sister Beatrice Griffin (right) and Sister Barbara Rosener (left) have a combined 135 years of service to God’s people.
Sr. Beatrice (Bea) Griffin celebrates 75 years of religious life. She was born in Bird Island, Minnesota, and graduated from Alvernia High School in Chicago, Illinois. She entered the Sisters of St. Francis community on September 8, 1946, and received the name Mary Therese Martin at her reception on June 16, 1947. She later resumed use of her baptismal name. She made her first profession on August 12, 1949, and perpetual profession on August 12, 1952.
Sister Beatrice earned a bachelor’s degree in education with minors in history and biology from San Diego College for Women, San Diego, California, and a master’s degree in education with a minor in special education from Peabody College, Nashville, Tennessee. She received a second master’s degree in religious studies from Seattle University, Seattle, Washington.
She began her teaching career at St. Gerald School, Oak Lawn, Illinois, where she taught second grade for five years. She later returned to St. Gerald School to serve as principal for six years.
The majority of Sister Griffin’s ministry was in California where she served as an educator and administrator at St. Catherine of Alexandria School, Riverside; St. Kieran School, El Cajon; Christ the King School, Oildale; St. Hyacinth Academy, San Jacinto; and Holy Rosary Academy, San Bernardino.
When Sister Beatrice returned to Clinton, Iowa in 2004, she served as the official driver for sisters who were unable to drive. She then became the Coordinator of Assisted Living, which involved visiting sisters at The Alverno and shopping for them.
Sister Beatrice currently resides at The Canticle in Clinton.
Sister Barbara Rosener is celebrating 60 years of religious life. She was born in Breda, Iowa, and graduated from Kuemper High School in Carroll, Iowa. She entered the Sisters of St. Francis community on September 8, 1961, and received the name Mary Barbara at her reception on June 16, 1962. She pronounced perpetual vows on August 12, 1967.
She earned a bachelor’s degree in education from Marycrest College, Davenport, Iowa, and a master’s degree in religious education from Seattle University.
Sister Barbara served 43 years as a teacher in four states, including: St. La Salle School, Reedley, California; St. Patrick School, Rochelle, Illinois; St. Catherine of Alexandria School, Riverside, California; St. Francis de Paula School, Chicago, Illinois; St. Patrick School, Maysville, Kentucky; St. Gerald School, Oak Lawn, Illinois; Holy Cross School, Vail, Iowa; and St. Edmond School, Fort Dodge, Iowa.
After retiring from teaching in 2006, Sister Barbara cared for sick and elderly persons for 13 years. She worked in resident services at The Marian Home in Fort Dodge, Iowa, and later as a companion, caregiver, and housekeeper to elderly persons in private homes.
Sister Barbara resides in Fort Dodge, Iowa, and enjoys volunteering.