Volunteers of the 817th Combat Engineers and airmen from March Air Force Base, Riverside built the site, an outdoor altar chapel, and amphitheather.
The figures were all carved of white Estremoz marble from the actual site of the apparition and the Shrine was approved by Sister Lucia as the “most authentic representation of Our Lady, in her vision.”
The statue received the Apostolic blessing of Bishop Jose Correia Da Silva of Leiria/Fatima and it was brought to the mountain location by the R.C. Harwell and Gene Lockhart families.
The Shrine was originally dedicated on August 16, 1953.